Forum Canada

Forum of expats in Canada: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN To get home mortgage in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by paulrobert320, Dec 21, 2016.

1. paulrobert320

paulrobert320 New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    English
    This is something related to the home mortgage in Canada. I am new here in Canada. I guess it would be difficult for a foreigner to get a home mortgage in Canada. I read a blog related to this http://www.privatelend.com/blog/mortgag ... an-credit/ . They have described how to get a mortgage without any Canadian credit. It would be more helpful if I get opinions from non-Canadians who have got home mortgages in Canada.

2. leomlee

leomlee New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    I am a retired real estate financing profession with 50 years of experience behind me. First of all, some banks and first line leaders had special programs for new Canadians with specific qualification requirements. I have no idea if they still exist. The best thing is to go to a reputable mortgage banker because they should now what all the available mortgage programs are. The rules have changed a lot in Canada in the last few year. And you should not go to a private lender at al if you are new to the Canadian mortgage scene. Too many complications and not all to your benefit. I have taken a loot at that Website you have referred to; I am not that impressed.

BTW, why are buying? I think it is a wrong time to buy when real estate markets in Canada will go through some tough time in the foreseeable future. When interest rates go up, many mortgages will default and real estate prices will drop? The real estate market has gone through many cycles, and I am afraid it is heading to a down cycle very soon. Have you actually figure out all the costs associated with owning a house? You should follow the Globe & Mails personal finance section. They have some very good advice there regarding home ownership. Rent now is the answer. We have owned our own home for 40 years and have recently sold everything and rent instead.

Good luck.

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    At the same time a lot of people are saying that it is a very good time to buy as interest rates are bottom low. In some country as France for instance, you can fix your interest rate at <1% for the full length of you mortgage, so it is a very good opportunity.
    In some other countries like the UK, you can fix for a few years and renegotiate if interest rates go up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...