Forum Barcelona

Forum of expats in Barcelona: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Retiring in Valencia

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gordyvr, May 30, 2017.

1. Gordyvr

Gordyvr New Member

City:
    Vancouver
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    I decided to quite working (I'm 60) and start enjoying life a lot more than I have been the last 10 years. Valencia is calling me. From what I've read the cost of living is low (nice apartment $us 600, condo purchase $us 100,000) and food and utilities also reasonably cheap. Is this true?

I would also like to meet a woman - my age - for a long-term relationship. What are my chances of meeting someone once I'm there?

Lot's of other questions - but the above two are critical to my decision to get the ball rolling.

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello,
    Meeting people might depend upon the language. If you speak Spanish (likely if you've been there the last 10 years), it will be easier.
    You can also use meetups and other dating websites to meet peoples once there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gordyvr

Gordyvr New Member

City:
    Vancouver
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    I appreciate the response; however, I haven't lived there for 10 years, I'm planning on moving there after 10 very hard years at work.

Two key decisions for me are: is it as cheap to live there as I read it is and 2) how likely is it that I'll meet someone when I'm there that wants a serious relationship.

4. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Ooops :oops: , sorry I miss-read and got confused with the figure when responding.
    You may also check blogs of expatriates in Valencia to know more about their life over there: http://www.blogexpat.com/en/dir/spain/valencia.htm

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...