Forum Poland

Forum of expats in Poland: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish Passport

Discussion in 'Poland' started by gosial, Feb 21, 2012.

1. gosial

gosial New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    english, polish
    Hello,

I have been living in England for over 30 years and until last year I renewed my polish passport every 10 years by post with no problems. Last year however it seems the law changed and I had to go to the embassy to fill in the renewal form and this is where the problems started.

I was told that before I could apply I needed a Pesel number and to get this number I needed my birth certificate, OK so far, Then because I have been married and now divorced and my surname is still my married name I needed my registered polish wedding certificate and divorce papers too and also to bring my ex husband to the embassy to confirm everything.

1. I was married and divorced in England to a British citizen and never registered either in Poland.

2. I have no idea where my ex husband is, last I heard was he was thinking of emigrating to Australia.

I feel totally abandoned by Poland and have no idea how I am ever going to get to renew my polish passport, please can anyone help me?

I do have a British passport but am scared stiff to travel on this to Poland as once there I will have no valid Polish documents and I am afraid they will not let me leave the country again if they realise I am still a Polish citizen. Has anyone travelled to Poland on a British passport but is still a polish citizen and if so were there any problems?

This is driving me insane as I desperately want to go and see my elderly mother.

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I'm so sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I'm afraid I don't have personal expertise in the area, but there is an active group of users in the Polish Immigration section. You may try reading over the archives and contacting people through the network.

Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Do you know of any of his family or friends? Would they be willing to get in touch with him so he can assist you with this matter? Did you get married in Britain and where? Can they be of assistance in regards to the paperwork you may need that the embassy is requiring you to have and provide?
    I know this doesn't help much in regards to what you want to do, but it may provide leads. If your ex has left the country and you are able to get in touch with him, would the embassy accept a video link through "Skype"? Good luck and hope everything works out for you to visit your mother.

4. marron

marron Active Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English, Polski
    Why exacttly do they need your ex anyway? Bureaucrats have a way of coming up with all kinds of "requirements" that don't exist in the law. I would bring in all the documents I can and take it from there.

5. worldcitizen

worldcitizen New Member

Living In:
    Namibia
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Polish
    I was looking for a different topic altogether, when I came across this post.

I am also a Pole (by birth) with British citizenship obtained over 30 years ago. However, I do not live in, either Poland or the U.K. I live in Namibia, Africa. I have been married, divorced and then remarried, without registering any of these acts with the Polish authorities. My last Polish passport expired some years ago and I have never bothered to renew it.

Currently, I am in a process of re-establishing my Polish identity and, although it may appear bureaucratic, the whole exercise isn't that difficult, really. Yes, I had to supply the authorities with my marriage/divorce certificates (in order to verify my change of surnames) but nobody demanded to see my ex-husband (this as well, since the guy is no longer alive!). Similarly, my current husband was not required to confirm being married to me.

Based on my previous residence address in Poland, I have obtained my Pesel number in less than ten minutes in some civic office in Warsaw a couple of days ago. That's because I do travel to Poland! A few weeks ago I entered Poland and have since safely returned home with... my British passport!

I don't know where you got this crazy idea that anybody can detain or even question you over your dual citizenship. It is not against the law to have more than one citizenship/passport, at least as far as Poland and the U.K. are concerned. Nor are you required to have valid Polish documentation whilst you are in possession of an ID lawfully issued to you by another country, who granted you their citizenship.

For a while now, Poland is a member of the EU and not some soviet state. Perhaps it is a time you went there? You might be surprised...

6. ofer

ofer New Member

City:
    Tel Aviv
    Living In:
    Israel
    Nationality:
    Israeli (IL)
    Languages:
    Hebrew, English
    Get a lawyer!!!!!
    Bureaucratic stuff can be really discouraging. Let a professional handle it for you

7. waleeed12

waleeed12 New Member

Living In:
    Anguilla
    Nationality:
    Anguillian (AI)
    Languages:
    ghjfjfh
    For a while now, Poland has been a member of the EU and not some soviet state. Perhaps it is a time you went there? You might be surprised...

== crossword puzzles ==