Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish Citizenship

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by gjene, May 8, 2010.

1. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Maybe someone can help me out with this. I have a copy of the registry from Schelklingen and it states that my grandfather was without citizenship. That was in 1946. But it made reference to an unknown address in Lublin as of Sept. 1, 1939. He reached the age of 18 in 1917 while my grandmother reached the age of 18 in 1922. They did not get married until 1949 while living in Schelkingen. My mother was born in Poland in 1942 before they had gotten married and they immigrated to Canada in January 1951. I have looked over both the 1920 and 1951 citizenship acts. But somehow, neither seem to help. I am hoping that maybe I can claim citizenship based on my mother. But if my grandfather was without citizenship when he married my grandmother and before immigrating to Canada, I am not sure if that would affect the citizenship of any minors under their care.

2. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    It was near the end of November 2017 when I received an answer to my request from I.T.S. in Germany. A couple of scanned documents they sent were what I was looking for.
    One was the inhabitants registry from Ulm. I did request a copy from Ulm, but they told me their copy was destroyed. But the copy I have from I.T.S. shows him from January 1945. That copy shows him as being stateless while the copy I received from Schelklingen, shows him living there from September 1946 and also being stateless (but it was in doubt).
    The other document that was sent to me from ITS was a scanned copy of the passenger list of the vessel my grandparents came to Canada on. That document states under a column labeled citizenship that the citizenship for my grandparents was Polish. What I am wondering is how valid is the wording on the passenger list and it showing that my grandfather had Polish citizenship if I were to include this copy towards making a citizenship claim in order to provide documents following through roughly where they lived from Lublin into Germany and finally emigrating to Canada in January 1951.
    The passenger list shows them boarding the vessel on January 15, 1951 and landing in Halifax, N.S. January 25, 1951. Another document shows them being in Rastatt from January 4, 1951 and their citizenship as being Polish as well. That one is from the I.R.O.