Forum USA

Forum of expats in the USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice New Members in the USA: Welcome!

Discussion in 'USA' started by texkourgan, Jun 23, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello and welcome to EasyExpat.com -

This topic is specifically dedicated to new comers in the USA. We invite you to introduce yourself here!

Why have you come here? Is it for internship? Studies? A job? Or simply in order to discover new lands?

If you have already secured a job, how did you find it? How long do you think you will stay in the USA?

How was your move? What happened for your first steps here?

What was the easiest thing / the most difficult to adapt to?

Make sure to check out our comprehensive city guides, and the forum dedicated to immigration to the United States of America. Thanks in advance for your answers and here’s to a good discussion! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Patrickrock

Patrickrock New Member

City:
    Dallas
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    Where are you from in USA

Hey I am from Dallas,Texas...where are you form?

3. nicole.vibs

nicole.vibs New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    italiano, english
    Re: New Members in USA: Welcome!

Hello, I'm Nicole and I just moved to LA from Italy, I'm starting school in October. I moved here with my boyfriend, but he has only a touristic visa and we would like to find a way for him to stay and live with me. He's a psycologist and a journalist, a really smart guy, with new ideas and a lot of projects. We are really trying to meet people that can help us figure out a way, or that could be interested in hiring an italian psychologist even as a volounteer. He has good english. I really don't know who to ask and you seemed nice, that's why I wrote to you. If you have any ideas to help us let me know! Thank you so much anyway.
    Nicole

4. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Re: New Members in USA: Welcome!

Hello & welcome nicole.vibs! :D

Hopefully the forum provides you a place to share information about your new country and ask questions. I also recommend the Guide to Los Angeles as a resource for information about the city, visas, work and more.

As far securing a visa for the USA, this is a difficult journey but not impossible. I assume you are on a student visa? Is that a possibility for your boyfriend? That is probably the easiest route. From the LA guide's section on visas:

The F-1 student visa - To obtain a student visa you must first complete an I-20 application which states that you have financial means to support yourself and are accepted into an educational program. The United States Immigration and Naturalization Service requires all F-1 students to take 18 hours of classes per week to maintain F-1 status. When you enter the United States on an F-1 student visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status.

Employment Visas- The H1B visa may be issued to individuals who seek temporary entry in a specialty occupation as a professional. Some examples of "specialty occupations" include accountant, computer analyst, engineer, financial analyst, scientist, architect or lawyer. The petition can be approved with a combination of college or university course work plus three years work experience for each year of university education missing.

H-2B Visa allows guest workers to come to the United States from around the world to live and work. An international beneficiary who is offered a job by a U.S. employer may enter the U.S. for a temporary time of specified duration to fill the offered position. The employment must be a one-time need based upon low U.S. worker availability, seasonal, or cyclical needs.

The H-3 visa is for an alien coming to the United States to receive training from an employer in any field other than graduate education or training. This covers a specific course of job-related training that has been planned in the United States which may include employment incidental to the training period.

J-1 visa If the individual does not qualify for an H visa classification, he or she may qualify under the J-1 category. The J-1 visa can be used by any U.S. companies primarily in an entry-level position to gain work experience and training in his or her field. The primary purpose of the alien€™s J-1 visa is to improve his or her knowledge of American techniques and operation in any U.S. industry and take this experience back to their home country to utilize upon returning home. A person must have at least one year of experience or a degree in the field in order to qualify for a J-1 visa. The J-1 visa is valid for the length of time the employer requires the alien's services, up to a maximum of 18 months with no renewal.

I also recommend our article on Obtaining a Visa to Live, Study and Work in: the United States of America.

I hope this helps you understand your options. Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...