Forum USA

Forum of expats in the USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Meet Molly & the Move to America

Discussion in 'USA' started by texkourgan, Jul 3, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    In a new series, we will be following the story of future expat Molly as she seeks to join her American husband in Ohio. At EasyExpat we try to provide you all the latest and greatest in Expat News and Resources, but sometimes a personal journey can best explain the unique challenges and triumphs involved in moving abroad. Meet Molly and follow along on her adventure in the Move to America.

Are you planning a move to America? What question do you have for Molly? DO you tips or recommendations to share about moving abroad?

Read about Molly in her introduction: http://easyexpat.blogexpat.com/blog/2013/04/23/an-introduction-to-the-move-to-america

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Re: Finding Health Insurance for The Move to America

One of the key things I have been looking into, with regards to my eventual move to the US, has been health insurance. It is not a requirement of my Spousal Petition to the US, but it is a vital part of US life as everyone at some point will need medical care. It is a very different system to the NHS in the UK and I needed to understand, as best I could, how the US system works.

What questions do you have about the US Health system? What do you think Molly should know? What tips or advice do you have for expats moving the USA?

Check out Molly's findings and learn how you might establish health insurance abroad: http://easyexpat.blogexpat.com/blog/2013/05/08/finding-health-insurance-for-the-move-to-america

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    The idea behind this article is to share with you some of the ways in which I have prepared for my eventual move to the US. One really important aspect of my future emigration was to be aware that I am arriving in a place where I do not really know anybody (apart from my husband and some of his friends). I realised that I would have to network before I arrived in the US. What I mean by this is doing or joining in with things that are part of my new community in order to learn more about it and fit in with where I live, whilst also meeting new people and making friends.

Have you had trouble making friends abroad? What tips to do you have for integrating into a new culture?

Read Molly's tips on Networking: http://easyexpat.blogexpat.com/blog/2013/06/05/successful-networking-for-the-move-to-america
    and find new friends on our expat network!

4. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    This article is covering what I have been thinking about and organising with regards to finances when I get to the US. I am not a financial advisor, nor an expert, and what I have researched and looked into may not be suitable for all, but it may serve as a note on what is potentially involved in an overseas move.

Molly covers subjects such as:
    Should You Keep Your Old Account?
    Opening a US Bank Account
    Establishing Credit History

Have you had to establish credit in a new country? What challenges have you faced in opening an account overseas? Have tips for other expats?

Read more of Molly's financial advice here: http://easyexpat.blogexpat.com/blog/2013/07/03/financial-advice-for-the-move-to-america

5. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Re: Meet Molly & the Move to America - Differences

Molly covers some of the subtle differences I noticed between the United States and the United Kingdom like Getting Comfortable with Appearing Foreign, Understanding the American Demeanor, Adjusting to American Compliments, & Tax on Items in the USA.

"The first and most significant thing that struck me when I was last in Ohio was that I stood out as distinctly foreign. I was surprised to find that even before I spoke, people were very aware I was not American. To this day I am not completely sure why, as I do not think I look particularly different from the locals, but they were aware I was from Europe. "

What differences have you noticed between your home country and the place you are moving? What do you find odd about life in America?

Read more of Molly's advice for adjusting to differences here: http://easyexpat.blogexpat.com/blog/2013/08/06/discovering-and-understanding-differences-for-the-move-to-america

6. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Medical & Interview Process for the Visa in The Move to America

I thought I would use this article to share my experiences of the final stages of my quest for a Spousal Immigrant Visa of a U.S. Citizen (IR-1).

I know that as I progressed through the paperwork for the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) and NVC (National Visa Center) I wanted to know what to expect from the medical and interview. I searched and searched and found some information, so I thought sharing what happened in my case would help others.

Have you applied for a visa in the USA? Do you have experience applying for a Spousal Immigrant Visa of a U.S. Citizen (IR-1)? What questions or advice do you have?

Full post on Medical & Interview Process for the Visa in The Move to America: http://easyexpat.blogexpat.com/blog/2013/09/10/medical-interview-process-for-the-visa-in-the-move-to-america

7. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Airports & Immigration for the Move to America

In this series, we have followed a Brit in her quest to become an expat in America. She has recently joined her American husband in Ohio and is continuing to share tips on life abroad. At EasyExpat we try to provide you all the latest and greatest in Expat News and Resources, but sometimes a personal journey can best explain the unique challenges and triumphs involved in moving abroad. Meet Molly and follow along on her adventure in the Move to America with new posts the first Wednesday of every month.

Full post on Airports & Immigration for the Move to America

8. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Re: Meet Molly & the Move to America - Shipping

This month, Molly explains how she moved her belongings from the UK to the USA & top tips.

Have you moved your belongings internationally? How did you move them? Do you have a recommended service? Do you have questions about international shipping?

Full post on Shipping Belongings for The Move to America: http://easyexpat.blogexpat.com/blog/201 ... to-america

9. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Re: Meet Molly & the Move to America - Settling In

What are your tips for settling into a new city or country? What do you find strange about your adoptive culture?

Full post on Settling In After The Move to America: http://easyexpat.blogexpat.com/blog/201 ... to-america