Forum Philippines

Forum of expats in Philippines: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Life in Philippines

Discussion in 'Philippines' started by EasyExpat, Mar 18, 2010.

1. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hi,

You are living in Philippines, or you used to live in Philippines. How did you decide to move to Philippines?

Help the community and share your experience as an expatriate in Philippines. :idea:

Was it a difficult move? Was it complicated to find a job in Philippines? To find an accommodation in Philippines?

Did you have some visa/immigration issue to go to Philippines? Or maybe everything was organised by your company for professional move?

:arrow: You can share here the different steps of your move in Philippines. What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Philippines?

Thanks in advance for sharing and giving advice. :cool:

2. ryxinrex

ryxinrex New Member

City:
    CDO
    Living In:
    Peru
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    english
    Hello,

i born and grew up here in philippines.. I think ur from other country..am i right??
    Well all i can say is philippines is really a great country..as all we know there are lots of people from other country have moved in to live here..mostly foreigners are majority has living now here..well, if only you knew how nice people have here in our country... ;)

3. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    :think: Er... I'm only the admin of the forums, launching a discussion. But thanks for participating :)

4. sleepy17

sleepy17 New Member

Living In:
    Philippines
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    english
    hi there admin, I'm from the Philippines too.
    filipinos are very famous with there hospitality.
    Pakikipagkapwa-tao and Family Orientation: This indigenous Filipino trait is the regard for the dignity of others and being with them. It consists of all levels of interaction with one's fellowman in times of crisis, like illness and death. This is embodied in the concept of neighbourliness like mutual visiting and exchange of food. Pleasant attitudes are also exhibited towards relatives and friends such as extending moral and emotional support. This is also evidenced in the insertion of many light scenes wherein there is light-hearted bantering, jokes among friends and kin.

Because of the Filipino's collective nature, they have a deep sense of concern for one's dignity and respect. This pakikipagkapwa-tao is manifested in their sensitivity to other people's feelings. This is often evidenced in the relations among the characters. Polite language, soft pleasing voices and meek manners are employed to avoid open disagreement with others. Personal relationships are likewise almost always important in any transaction among the characters.

"The visa lottery system poses a national security threat. Under the program, each successful applicant is chosen at random and given the status of permanent resident based on pure luck."
    Bob Goodlatte

Visa requirements to visit other countries and search for visa, travel, hotel, restaurants and beaches:
    commercial link removed

5. DelC

DelC New Member

City:
    Metro Manila
    Living In:
    Philippines
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English
    Life in Philippines is simple. You just have to learn to love and go with flow. Cost of living in the country is quite low compared to neighboring countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia.

6. MarkB

MarkB Member

Living In:
    Philippines
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    7 months a go i came here.After one month we take a marriage with my wife at Toledo/Lutopan church.

In this post I wanna make a clear break few myths about this place
    People here are nice if you comming like a tourist. Its simple you spending money.

Family. They like you similar like your pocket is full of money. If they see they cannot get profits from you they start treat you like a trash.

In here only white man at retired age with pension is welcome to stay permamently.Philippinian wife for example 28 old white husband close to 70 age.

Theres no work for white man only if he had a visit contract from his company if that have a facility here.

It is reality.

Yes some say paradise here for white man here.
    Sure but only in two ways: If you are tourist for two weeks or a 70 years old guy with good pension.

When my wife get the visa soon we moved to Europe.
    And I dont have any wish to visit this place anymore
    Voyages are good
    Helps see the truth

7. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello MarkB,

I have moved your post to the existing discussion with the same title on Life in Philippines.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Apparently you are very disappointed with the place. Is your wife fillipino? Why did you come at first?
    Many thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
    See you soon on the forum :wave:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. MarkB

MarkB Member

Living In:
    Philippines
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Yes my wife is Filipino.I meet her 2 years a go at Hi5. Last summer we meet at Poland at Youth World Days.

At September 2016 arrive to Cebu. Next month we take a marriage. I spend lot of money for a wedding visas extensions,all documents requires to take a marriage here. Also at Poland before come here too. My wife family was nice to me first month after that stopped talking to me. They talk a lot bad things about me. They though I'm millionaire bring thousand dollars here and go back to Europe after wedding. Yes I can go any time no problem. I just stay to make easy get visa for my wife and get all documents requires to get her/visa.

I cannot work here so its not my fault. Yes sir many people tell me before I came here also from Philippines be careful. Also go back after wedding home. Stay longer can be not nice too you. Yes after receive visa we moved to Europe.
    THAT'S MY EXPERIENCE. I don't wanna return here anymore here.My wife is pregnant.Our kid will born at Europe.Be European Union citizen.

Otherwise I lived at past at Chicago for 16 years. I meet thousands people.But no one treat me like family my wife here. Am artist photographer philosopher poet before was journalist at Usa
    I did lot of good to the people, lot of help but this place disappoint me.

Thats true. Many people like a profits from tourists. That's why they behave nice.Profits are similar to treatment.I was twice in England also.That type of behave I don't meet. I'm standing here only for my wife.Its only one reason.
    Regards
    Mark

9. MarkB

MarkB Member

Living In:
    Philippines
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    By the way I'm not saying this country is bad. People not family members are nice too me. But my experience with closest people is not good.

In my life I was rich later get bankrupt. After that again rich. Later I get bankrupt because my ex wife mess all things. Cheat me was lazy and not responsible person. Later again I get some bigger money. It's life. Up and downs. But I never treat anyone like a trash. No matter he is rich or poor.

People are here nice but family
    Not always
    I had lot of experience to lived at different places.
    If anyone like it I may to share

10. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It looks like you have a bad experience with related family. It might happen in other countries and not linked to Philippines... Other expats are sharing their personal experience in Philippines here: http://www.blogexpat.com/en/dir/philippines.htm

See you soon on the forum :wave:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. MarkB

MarkB Member

Living In:
    Philippines
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Yes its true. It may happened everywhere.Also matter is reason to come at other place. Arrived like a tourist its different than personal/private reason. By the way. Even if you came here like a tourist need avoid many places here.

Mindanao southern part. Also Cebu island southern part. There tourist may kidnap for ransom by ISIS or communist rebels. Also walking alone outside big city may by dangerous.Here is many mountains.

Best thing is moving with someone who is from here. Can be wife, fiancée, good friend Filipino. That's safety. Then people here looks at tourist different. Are nice.

But like I said. Mindanao, and islands where is no tourist resorts can be dangerous.
    Be catch by ISIS basically ends fatally to foreigners. Beheading its final if they not receive money.

So if anyone came here need to be wise. Its nice place but eyes need to be open all the time.

12. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
  13. MarkB

MarkB Member

Living In:
    Philippines
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Yes its scary but real. At past i lived at Chicago for 16 years.City is nice. But some parts really dangerous. Especially southside. And
    huge buildings where blacks lived.That parts of the city have no1 in all USA higher crime accidents. There tourist don't go. Also white people.
    Its reality. Not a fairy tales.
    If its possible a put my experience about life at Chicago.
    I have a lot to say about that city

14. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Yes of course. You will find a lot of other topics in the Chicago forum where you can participate. I will put some links in the other post.
    Don't forget to enhance your profile with photos, as I said it is nicer on the forum :)