Forum Austria

Forum of expats in Austria: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN International Schools

Discussion in 'Austria' started by calimnaus, Sep 10, 2012.

1. calimnaus

calimnaus Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    My family and I will be moving to Vienna soon. We have a middle school aged child and we are looking for reviews on the International Schools in Vienna, particularly the American International School and the Danube International School. Any reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mr.rightontime11

City:
    Vienna
    Living In:
    Austria
    Nationality:
    Romanian (RO)
    Languages:
    Romanian, German, English, Portuguese
    Hi there,

Friends of mine have send their children to both schools (first the american and now Danube International School). They took their children out of the american school because they had problems with some of the teachers. I don't want to go into any details here, but now they have send their boys to the Danube International School and both are very happy there! They speak very highly of the school! But you have to keep in mind that every bodies experience is different and I am sure either one would be good for your kids, since both schools are some of the best schools vienna has to offer.

Yours truly.

4. calimnaus

calimnaus Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello Mr. Rightontime11,

Thank you so much for your response. I have corresponded with both the Danube and American International schools a couple weeks ago. We are leaning towards the Danube school because we are consindering living in District 3 and I hear it would be closer than the American School.

Your response has helped us a bit more about our decision. We plan on touring the schools when we get there.

By the way, do you know how it is to live District 3?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards.

5. mr.rightontime11

City:
    Vienna
    Living In:
    Austria
    Nationality:
    Romanian (RO)
    Languages:
    Well the third district is a lovely part of Vienna. It is becoming more and more popular with young families. I heard that it has improved drastically over the past few years and that the quality of housing has improved a lot.

I personally live in the 9th district, which is also a very nice and calm district. It has the advantage of being located next to a nice and refreshing part of the Danube. In the 9th district you also find the Lycee Francais, which is where I send my kids

I believe both districts are quite similar, whereas the 3rd district has a little bit more life to it.

6. calimnaus

calimnaus Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thank you so much for your responses, they have really helped us. District 3 sounds wonderful. If I could bother you just one more time regarding districts. I was wondering what you could tell me about District 2. We've been looking on line at flats in both District 2 & 3. We thought being walking distance to many placees and close to District 1 would be a nice experience.

Also, Is Lycee Francais a french speaking school?

Thank you again for your responses. We really appreciate it.

7. mr.rightontime11

City:
    Vienna
    Living In:
    Austria
    Nationality:
    Romanian (RO)
    Languages:
    Yes, that is a french speaking school!

The 2nd district is also a great place to live! It is very popular among students! It has an enormous park (Augarten). But I find that the 2nd district is a mix of everything. It has families of all sorts of backgrounds. They quite a few housing project (affordable flats - which sounds worse than it is). It is also more popular among Artists and modern cuisine. I think it must be a great District to live in when you are young and seek a District that is wild and alive.

Kind regards.

8. jenna.mccormack

jenna.mccormack New Member

Living In:
    Austria
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi, my family and I will be moving to Vienna from Washington DC in July. We have a child entering grade one. We are considering VIS, AIS, and Danube International schools. Can anyone provide feedback on any of the three?
    We are leaning towards VIS or Danube because of the IB curriculum, however we believe our housing will be in the 18th district which seems like a long commute to each school. The American School is in the 18th, but we are unsure of the curriculum. Does anyone have personal experience with this school?

Any info is greatly appreciated. If you may provide feedback about the school culture and community we will greatly appreciate it.

Best,
    Jenna

9. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I tweeted your request for info so hopefully someone will share some info on the schools. I also recommend the Guide to Vienna to get a better feel for the place, as well as expat blogs in Austria.

Please feel free to share your experience with these schools expats!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. jenna.mccormack

jenna.mccormack New Member

Living In:
    Austria
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English