Forum Philippines

Forum of expats in Philippines: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Getting Married in Philippines

Discussion in 'Philippines' started by texkourgan, Jul 11, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello and welcome!

Getting married can be a joyous occasion, but all the paperwork of marrying abroad can take some of the fun out of it. We would like to invite people who have been married in Philippines to share their advice.

What do you wish you had known? What is the procedure to get married in Philippines? How much does it cost? Do you need a special visa, permit, or documentation? How far in advance do you need to plan? How expensive is it?

Is the process the same for locals as it is for expats? What about a mixed partnership (between a foreigner and a native)? Do you need to send documentation back to your country?

What customs should you expect? Is there a certain style of dress you need to wear? What about for guests? What kind of gift-giving is expected?

Also share your questions if you are preparing to marry abroad or your experiences if you have attended a wedding in Philippines.

Congratulations to all of our engaged couples or recently married and thanks for sharing your stories. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ChristianOnes

ChristianOnes New Member

City:
    Rockford
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    I and the Godly and Beautiful woman who I met through Facebook married on Sept. 8, 2015.

To get married in the Philippines you have to apply for a marriage license and then wait 10 days for what is called a "Cooling off period" and during the 10 days there is a posting in the government office where the Philippine spouse lives asking if there is anyone who knows if the people seeking marriage are already married.
    If no one comes forth, the marriage license is granted and when wedding completed the minister or Judge or Mayor signs 4 copies.

The Minister or Judge or Mayor keeps one, gives the newly wedded couple one copy, one copy is returned to the Register's Office where the Philippine spouse lives and one copy goes to the Philippine NSO (National Statistical Office).

We had God's Blessing and a beautiful day and many family and church members and neighbors attended our wedding and wedding reception.

We pray that many more expats will marry Philippine citizens as they are wonderful and kind people. We purchased and roasted a whole pig at cost of 16,000 pesos.

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Many thanks for the info, ChristianOnes (I slightly reformated your post to make reading easier).
    See you soon on the forum and don't forget to participate to all the other topics we've opened to help expats in Philippines :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MarkB

MarkB Member

Living In:
    Philippines
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Gettin marriage is long process.First when you come to the Filippines need lot of papers already.Confirmation from native embassy,civil status approved thats first.Depence what kind of type of marriage also matter.Civil take short time more easy.If church thats take a lot of things to do it.First cenomar certificate,also confirmation from your priest from original parish.Before marriage seminars.Two days at church if need it and one day on city family department.Of course all cost lot of money but philippina women are great.We take a marriage 7 months a go with my wife.More than one month we spend to straight all paper work to get the marriage.Another six months till now to collect all things to go to polish embassy get the visa.
    Tomorrow we take a flight to Malasia.
    Like a said before.Takin marriage take long time here cost too but my wife is best philippinian woman never get you down never cheat you.
    Is best partner for whole.
    Im happy with my lovely wife
    Next month we return to Europe

5. MarkB

MarkB Member

Living In:
    Philippines
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Just few more things.Many countries dont need visa for 30 days .Foreigner can came for this period without any immigration charges.After one month its possible get extension for next to months.It cost depence which extension.Its from 4000 pesos to over 8000.After one year its possible get legall permit to stay without any charges for extension visa.About planning.Its best to take few months from start paper work to final get marriage here.Cost of wedding plus all paperwork cost easy 150 000 pesos.its aprox 3000 €.After wedding copy of marriage license going to NSO.It take easy 3 months to receive certificate.If newly wife and husband like to leave Philippines need another marriage certificate from DFA.It takes aprox two weeks.If philippinian wife like to change name on husband need new passport.It takes max one month.
    One thing important at here.Patience.Everything take time.
    And money.But its worthy.Wife from this place is like a dream but real.
    My wife she is great.I know i can trust her forever.I lost a lot at past but from the day when i meet my wife i get all.
    By the way by 4 months i will see my daughter.My wife is pregnant.
    Decision to come is best.
    Money cost time is nothing
    I find real treausure here

6. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Many thanks for all the information ! :clap: