Forum Denmark

Forum of expats in Denmark: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Getting Married in Denmark

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by texkourgan, Jun 21, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello and welcome!

Getting married can be a joyous occasion, but all the paperwork of marrying abroad can take some of the fun out of it. We would like to invite people who have been married in Denmark to share their advice.

What do you wish you had known? What is the procedure to get married in Denmark? How much does it cost? Do you need a special visa, permit, or documentation? How far in advance do you need to plan? How expensive is it?

Is the process the same for locals as it is for expats? What about a mixed partnership (between a foreigner and a native)? Do you need to send documentation back to your country?

What customs should you expect? Is there a certain style of dress you need to wear? What about for guests? What kind of gift-giving is expected?

Also share your questions if you are preparing to marry abroad or your experiences if you have attended a wedding in Denmark.

Congratulations to all of our engaged couples or recently married and thanks for sharing your stories. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. shamax

shamax New Member

Living In:
    United Arab Emirates
    Nationality:
    Sri lankan (LK)
    Languages:
    English, Singhalese
    Hello, I am a Sri lankan citizen, my girl friend is from Germany. we are trying to get married this year.

I know there is lot of paper work that we have to arrange for that. I want to know if it is easier to get married in Denmark than in Germany. what sort of paper work do we need?

Thanks

3. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! :D

Several other people in the forum have chatted about this before. For example,
    is-it-easier-to-get-married-in-denmark-eu-non-eu-t16025.html

As well as here: easier-marry-denmark-non-t4364.html

The basic requirements:

Be lawfully admitted and legally present in Denmark
    Valid passport showing proof of entry into Denmark or into the Schengen area
    Complete the Marriage Form, which can be downloaded from the City of Copenhagen website (http://subsite.kk.dk/sitecore/content/S ... rvice.aspx)

If you have been married previously, you must present your original divorce decree. If your previous marriage was terminated by death, an original Death Certificate must be submitted to the Citizens Service Center (Borgerservice.)

If you wish to get married in Copenhagen, you can scan all the documents in advance to Bryllup@okf.kk.dk or send them by post to: Kobenhavns Raadhus, Bryllupskontoret, Room 91, 1599 Copenhagen V.

If you send your documents by email, you both need to personally visit the Citizens Service Center (Borgerservice) at: Nyropsgade 1, 1602 Copenhagen V. Bring your original documents. Borgerservice can be reached by telephone +45-3366 3366 or by email: borgerservice@kk.dk

Another possibility for a civil marriage ceremony within the city limits of Copenhagen is the Frederiksberg Town Hall. Contact: Citizens Service Center (Borgerservice), Frederiksberg Rådhus (town hall), 2000 Frederiksberg. TEL: 3821 2121; 3821 2100. http://www.frederiksberg.dk ; EMAIL: borgerservice@frederiksberg.dk

Non-residents pay a fee of DKK 500 to get married in Denmark. Payment is accepted in Danish currency only.

I have heard the process is easier in Denmark versus Germany (as an expat in Germany I can attest that the bureaucracy here can be mind-numbing). The Guide to Copenhagen is another helpful resource. I hope this helps! Anyone else have advice?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. süßemaus

süßemaus New Member

Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Filipino
    Non-EU au pair + German bf possible to get married in DK?

Hello Everyone!

I am Aika, an au pair here in Denmark for 1 year and 6 months . I have a boyfriend from Germany and we plan to live together. We are willing to try different ways so I can get a visa in his country, unfortunately, it's not so easy to do the process. We are thinking to apply for language course visa as our first option, but it seems like it's a hard for they're requiring different things. We are searching for information that will help us, however it's complicated to find a precise answer. We also thought of applying as an au pair there, but it says that I must know basic German language. Definitely, I don't have knowledge with this so we just take this out from our list. And lastly, thinking to get married. We thought of doing this if we can't accomplish any of the two option I have mentioned earlier. My boyfriend don't want me to apply to other country here in Europe instead just stay with him. I also would love to do this so I can be with him all the time. It feels good when we're together. Anyways back to the topic, with this matter, he said it's much easier to do this in Denmark for he read it somewhere and his friend said so. But actually we don't have any idea about this, so both of us need details.
    My question is,is it really easy to get married here? What are the requirements we must present individually? And what are the things we must consider regarding the ruling?

I hope I can get any answer. And me and my boyfriend are hoping for fast response, this will help us a lot!

Btw,thanks in advance and have a nice day to all! :)

P.S.
    Me and my bf are 25 years of age...

5. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    What did you decide to do shamax? Did it make sense for you to get married in Denmark? What steps did you take?

Any advice you can provide to other forum users and expats would be great. Thanks!

6. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Re: Non-EU au pair + German bf possible to get married in DK?

The guide to Copenhagen is a good place for you to start looking for info, including the section on visas in Denmark. Similarly, the guide to Berlin offers many options and info including a section on German visas and studying in Germany. A new route to staying in Germany is through the EU Blue Card for Germany.

There are many options to check out in the previously listed articles. Specifically to your question on possibly getting married in Denmark - we covered some of the basic steps in a recent forum post, Getting Married in Denmark getting-married-denmark-t34977.html.

I hope this helps you find a path. Best of luck & let us know what you decide. Anyone else have tips?

7. süßemaus

süßemaus New Member

Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Filipino

Hi texkourgan,

Thanks for the fast reply. Earlier I went to the kommune here in the city I live in to ask information about my concern. They gave me answers and now I'm a bit relieved. However, I must think for ways how to do the process cause my case is rare the lady said. Anyway, your guidelines helped me and thank you very much for your advice! Have a nice day!
    :D

8. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:

Happy to help süßemaus ! Glad you were able to sort out some options. Please let us know how you proceed and tips for other people in your situation. Best of luck! :D

9. McLord

McLord New Member

Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    Ghanaian (GH)
    Languages:
    English
    Denmark marriage procedures and requirements

I have a problem that I urgently need a solution. I came to Germany through a school seminar trip from Africa with a three months visa.

Upon my arrival I met a beautiful German lady, that we are so much in love that we don't want any distance to come between us. Initially I had wanted to go back to Africa before my visa expires but she refused with the fear that she gonna lose me. now she insist we mush get married but my visa has expired.

So folks, I want to know if it is possible for anyone in my situation to marry a EU national in Denmark? Also want to know all the necessary documents a non-EU national needs to be married to a EU national in Denmark?

10. janudar

janudar New Member

City:
    porto
    Living In:
    Portugal
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    english portuguese urdu
    Marriage with bulgarian help pls

hi happy to see ur topics thnx for that

pls i m basicly from pakistan but living in portugal abt 4 years and i have one year resident card from portugal govt

i want ask that my gf is bulgarian girl can i marry with her in denmark if yes then after how many time i will get my resident card from denmark and after marriage my gf will also get any resident card from denmark or not pls thnx to all

11. Marivic

Marivic New Member

Living In:
    Norway
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    english
    How to stay in Denmark

Hi,

I am a Filipina from Philippines and now I´m in Norway doing an Aupair job. I have a Danish boyfriend and we plan to live together but we have a problem because I am not 24 years old yet I´m still 22
    (Denmark has 24 yr rule for foreigner). Does anybody have problems like mine and how you solve it?

If we plan to getting married in Philippines, and I still have visa here in Norway do you think i can come to Denmark even if im not 24 yrs old yet after we get married in Philippines? If i wait there(phil.) how long it will take for me to come to Denmark?
    Please help me if you know things about this. I really want to be with him and i love him so much . thank you for your time.

12. sihaya12

sihaya12 New Member

City:
    arden
    Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    filipino, english.danish
    Re: How to stay in Denmark

Hi Marivic,
    I'm a kababayan living in Denmark. Is your BF living in Denmark? It doesn't matter whether u get married in Denmark or in the Philippines, the same rule applies (24 yrs.old) and other rules,.. asar ano..but that's the way it is. because I have a friend who has travelled as tourist in Denmark a few times and she's a lot older than u and they got married in the Philippines too. She still has to follow the fulfillments required, you probably know about the money you have to deposit, the language test, etc. Unfortunately,The rules have been stricter so u don't automatically get permission to be with your husband even if u are married. But I think it's much easier since you are already in Norway and u too get married in Denmark. Still I think the 24 year old rule applies for you, luckily there's just 2 years waiting, if you too have that patience. I know it's long time. I'll ask a friend, she's also an aupair, who recently got married but <I think she is more than 24. If u want to get in touch with me, post a reply then I can give you my email. Sige, ditto muna and ingat ka lagi! You can call me ate jo.. :p

13. Alia Tempora

Alia Tempora New Member

Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Danish (DK)
    Languages:
    Russian, English
    Hello everyone! I am a student of Danish School of Media and Journalism. Now I am writing an article about bi-national marriages in Denmark (eu + non-eu citizens) for Jutlandstation.dk website. I would like to ask few questions to the couples that have already got married in Denmark. Can anyone help? I would be grateful for any contacts or info! Thanks a lot!

14. PK23

PK23 New Member

Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    I am a German citizen & my girl friend is from non EU. Can you guys share me your experiences to start my future with my love?

15. Charlotte Opringen

Charlotte Opringen New Member

City:
    København
    Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Danish (DK)
    Languages:
    danish, english
    Hello! I am a Danish citizen and my boyfriend is from Ukraine. For now he has lived in Denmark for 1 year and has employment contract here. We want to get married, but everything seems complicated a lot. Maybe, there are some tips to make thic procedure easier?

16. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Why is it complicated ? The only think that I see as a potential delay would be to get the Ukrainian papers as the country is at war...

17. Charlotte Opringen

Charlotte Opringen New Member

City:
    København
    Living In:
    Denmark
    Nationality:
    Danish (DK)
    Languages:
    danish, english
    He has all the papers with him, thank you for answer.
    My friend told me that there is a lot of bureaucracy with papers, but now I see that probably she was wrong and the process is simplier that I thought before.

18. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Great :thumbup: Happy future wedding then ! :cool:

19. niftyprose

niftyprose New Member

City:
    Bristol
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    My wife and I got married in Denmark just before Christmas 2022. We took this course of action because we hit all sorts of practical difficulties getting hitched in the UK, and the Denmark option looked easier. Since lots of people have posted asking for advice on this topic, I thought it would be helpful to write up our experiences and cross-post on various forums. Our account applies particularly to Brits but may be of interest to other nationals.

THE BOTTOM LINE
    It's easier and cheaper to get married in Denmark than in other parts of Europe, but the process isn't absolutely seamless. Read and learn!

THE IDEAL
    If you Google "Getting married in Denmark" you'll find a number of marriage agencies, all of whom will offer to organize a Danish wedding on your behalf. You may also turn up the website operated by the dedicated wedding department at the Town Hall in Copenhagen (https://idocph.kk.dk), which explains how to do your own arrangements. All of these sites agree that Denmark is an ideal place to marry, and that weddings can be organized quickly. Here are the steps of an ideal DIY wedding process in Copenhagen.

1. You pick a date at least 14 weeks in the future.
    2. You contact the team at the Wedding Office in Copenhagen City Hall (or at a different town if appropriate) to pre-book a date and time for the ceremony.
    3. You book an hour-long interview with your local UK Registrar. This will usually take a few days to arrange and both marriage partners will need to attend.
    4. In the course of the interview, you explain to the Registrar that you want to get married in Copenhagen on the chosen date.
    5. The Registrar posts a formal notice at your own Town Hall in the UK. If no-one expresses any objections within one month, they will issue a Certificate of No Impediment which you can collect from the Town Hall.
    6. You contact the Agency of Family Law in Denmark, complete an online application form, and upload scans of your passports, your Certificate of No Impediment, your Decrees Absolute if appropriate, plus a signed declaration which forms part of the application form. You then use their online payment system to pay a fee of about 200 euros.
    7. The Agency of Family Law issues a certificate to the relevant Wedding Office.
    8. You contact the Wedding Office to finalize the booking and pay your fee, usually by bank transfer.
    9. You travel to Denmark, go to the City Hall the day before the ceremony, and hand over your passports for them to validate.
    10. You go to the Wedding Office at the City Hall 15 minutes before the ceremony, say your vows, sign some papers, and they issue you with marriage certificates. You're married!

WHY 14 WEEKS?`
    Since most Danish wedding websites emphasize how easy it is to get married in Denmark, you might think 14 weeks is too long. Consider:

* The issue of your UK Certificate of No Impediment will take over a month -- no exceptions.
    * The Danish authorities say they can often issue a wedding certificate in just five working days, but they don't guarantee it. If they hit a problem, that processing time can go up to two months.

In the next section, LIVING DANGEROUSLY, I describe our experience of trying to do things faster.

LIVING DANGEROUSLY
    We really wanted to get married in 2022, but we only found out about the Danish wedding service at the start of November. Could we still manage it? It looked easy enough. I pre-booked a wedding slot on December 23 with the delightful team at Copenhagen City Hall and Gill and I took the first available appointment with the Registrar in Weston. The Registrar issued our Certificate of No Impediment on December 6, and I did the Agency of Family Law paperwork and scans the same day.

Our application was routine -- UK citizens, no criminal records, one long-finalized divorce, no application for Danish citizenship -- and I anticipated a five-day turnaround. We booked thousands of pounds worth of non-refundable flights, hotels and Copenhagen Xmas treats and invited family members to join us.

I still don't know what went wrong with our passport scans. One theory is that visits to Laos and Myanmar (Burma) marked us as potential troublemakers, but plenty of innocent people travel to those places. It's also the case that the Danish authorities request scans of every single page. The UK passport format changed a few years ago. Did the case officer notice that Gill's has more pages than mine and assume that I'd deliberately skipped a page?

Whatever the reason, we got word on December 13 that we'd need to resubmit the scans. I assumed that this would be a brisk process, but the agency guidance was that the review process could take up to two months. We made desperate calls to the Agency to explain our situation and to try to ensure that our paperwork got done on time, but they stonewalled us. The helpful staff at City Hall contacted the Agency on our behalf, but they got the same reception. We had to endure an anxious week-long wait in which it looked as if all our plans were going to go up in smoke. It all seemed a very long way from what we'd seen on the 'Visit Copenhagen!' websites.

Eventually the certificate was issued on December 20, less than 48hrs before we were due to fly to Copenhagen.

THE FUN PART
    It all came together for us in the end. Anja, Marie and the wedding team at Copenhagen City Hall couldn't have been more supportive, and we had a perfect civil ceremony in beautiful surroundings with sympathetic and gracious court officers. I'd recommend that part of the experience to anyone. But I'd also recommend DIYers to allow three months minimum for the paperwork.

20. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Happy New Year ....I hope that 2023 will be less stressful than the end of 2022 and I am sure you are both looking forward to it.
    You mean that the difficulties were caused by the wedding agency, not by the administration at the town hall?