Forum Italy

Forum of expats in Italy: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN English citizen living in italy

Discussion in 'Italy' started by theresa, Sep 29, 2005.

1. theresa

theresa New Member

hi

I moved to italy in 2000, but am not married, i live with my boyfriend as a housewife looking after his 3 children all of school age. I am not a formal resident of italy - my boyfriend maintains that it is not possible to become a resident here unless i am in employment? can someone advise me on this, i am concerned in case i should need medical treatment.

Also does anyone know what i do about my driving licence. I have a european one issued when i was last living in the uk - I think I need to take the 10 year retest in 2010... but where do i do that? do i have to go back to the uk? or do i need to somehow get an italian licence?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

thanks bunches
    theresa

2. Coyan

Coyan Addicted member

City:
    Den Hague
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi Theresa,

As long as you have the intent to seek work in Italy you are automatically residence. Just take your Passport to the office that issues a Social Security Number and tell them you are looking for work and that should give you access to the Italian Social Number.

For you driving license, under EU Law you can exchange your British License for an Italian one. You don't need to re-take any test.

I hope the above helps

3. theresa

theresa New Member

Hi

No, I do not intend to seek work here - at least not for the forseeable future, as i said before i have 3 children of school age (their mother has sadly passed away) that i look after. I do have an italian fiscal code but as far as i am aware i am not classed as a resident here - i am so confused and worried about this.

I have now been told that to get an italian d/lic would require me forking out a pile of cash i dont have (not working = no income)... do you know if I am entitled therefore to continue to retain and use my uk licence here in italy ?

thanks again

theresa

4. arturo.c

arturo.c New Member

City:
    Edinburgh
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    English, Italiano
    In order to be registered as "resident", you should go to the "ufficio anagrafe" of the Comune where you live, bringing your (and your children's) passport(s), your "codice fiscale" and a proof of health insurance or other document granting cover for health services in Italy (for UK citizens a E106 or E109 form will do, to be applied for beforehand at HMRC).

In your case, a signed statement from your host (see the relevant form), together with a copy of his ID document, will provide proof of your residential address.

Once you register your "residenza", you became eligible for the SSN (the Italian version of the NHS), and as a single mother of three school-age children you could also be entitled to other available benefits.

Converting your UK driving license into an Italian one is expensive only if you go to an "agenzia pratiche auto", whose purpose is to take care of the paperwork on your stead (for a fee). If you have time and an Italian speaking friend, you could try to go to the "ufficio motorizzazione civile" (Italian equivalent of the DVLA local office) and try to file the application by yourself.