Forum Turkey

Forum of expats in Turkey: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Bringing Your Pet to Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey' started by texkourgan, Jun 24, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello!

Do you want to bring your dog or cat to Turkey? Have you already brought your pet abroad?

We know that traveling with your favorite animal is possible, but you need to be prepared to pay a price and collect numerous documents. To learn about the process, read our post on transportation, customs and vaccinations for bringing your pet abroad.

Do you know what rules and regulations are related to bringing pets into Turkey? What are the formalities and certificates you need to show?

How do you transport your cat, dog or any other pet into Turkey? Are any animals forbidden entrance? Is quarantine necessary (and for how long)? How do you get a vaccination certificate for your pet?

Please share your experiences so new/future expats can prepare to bring their furry best friends with them! Thanks in advance for your answers. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. magic140

magic140 New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    I would be very interested in this. I have a dog which I would be transporting - I am thinking of overland rather than flying - I think my dog would be very scared regarding flying, but is very used to travelling long journeys in a car.

As far as I can see there is no quarantine for a dog if you have had the correct injections and blood tests as required and carry a pet certificate from a vet in the UK??

Could anyone confirm that I am correct thank you.

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    First of all, your pet must first be microchipped (ISO Standard 11784 pet microchip that is a 15 digit and non-encrypted or Annex A to ISO standard 11785).
    In addition, if your pet enters Turkey with a rabies antibodies titer test completed 3 months prior to entering the country, then it will likely not be subject to home quarantine. Otherwise the quarantine may last for 3/4 months.

Dogs must also be vaccinated against: Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP), Leptospirosis, Hepatitis. Canine Distemper, Bordetella, Rabies (vaccine administered at least one month prior to travel).

In summary, you should have:
    - Pet Microchip
    - Original Rabies Vaccine Certificate
    - Rabies Titer Test
    - Airline Health Certificate (APHIS form 7001 with USDA endorsement) = international health certificate to be completed by your veterinarian within 10 days of departure (sometime called export certificate)

The Pitbull Terrier and Japanese Tosa are classed as "dangerous" and may not be imported to Turkey.

It's better if your pet can travel with you. Otherwise an import permit must be obtained from the Turkish Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs.

Be careful, there might be a time of the day when to arrive at customs for same day customs clearance.

You can ask for more information with the Consulate of Turkey.

Best of luck and keep us informed. See you soon on the forum :wave:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. magic140

magic140 New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Thank you for your reply cryilexpat - some useful info there about getting an import permit. My dog has a slight heart murmur and I don't want to riskher going on a plane. She is a Cavalier King Charles so is a very soft temperament. She is 11 years old also.

5. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Best of luck with the procedures and tell us how it goes, as your experience will help others :)